Sunday 20 October 2019

The Immigration Policy. An American, Canadian … and a Personal Perspective (I)

Photo by Laura Lai

by Laura Lai/ Comment

In May 2019 the U.S. President Donald Trump announced his Administration’s new American Immigration System more merit and skill focused and points-based as Canada has, in order to replace… this current situation of either applying for H, L, O, P or Q work visa or of illegally be smuggled into the United States of America.
Smugglers’ business have been thriving, due to the fact that a work visa is difficult to get and due to the fact that the United States have no physical border, not necessarily with Canada, that is equally developed economically and it is not a source of immigration, but in the South, where the U.S. neighbors are less developed Central and South American countries and a source of massive immigration.  
Smugglers have been thriving as long as politicians hesitate what kind of immigration policy to adopt and to implement, when illegally crossing people into Europe over the Mediterranean Sea. And from a recent investigation of the journalists of LBC I have learned the way (and the price for which) each illegal immigrant is smuggled into the United Kingdom from France.  

In 2007 I applied for immigration to the French-speaking region of Canada, Quebec. I was exhausted of day internships and night study in the capital city of the European Union (with conference participations, paper presentations, etc.). I was interested in getting a job, go on with my research and pay my thesis defense from my money not my parents’ working class pension. I wanted to go to Canada to work, become a PhD in Political Sciences in Belgium and return to Canada if I was feeling great there.
The fees required to emigrate to Quebec were much lower than those required to emigrate to the English-speaking part of Canada. Given my very good level of both French and English – particularly at that time when I was using them both on daily basis – I applied. The points-system is easy to navigate, the minimum required points to apply are easy to score particularly if one is young, bilingual, a PhD candidate and has some professional experience. Besides the fees paid in order for the officials to work your dossier, there is a medical check that also costs money, in which they check for the immigrant to be healthy and not carrying contagious diseases that may put in danger the host society. The last phase is the invitation to interview. I was having a 4-month scholarship in Denmark and I had to pass the immigration interview in Vienna. In the spring of 2007, I made the trip to Vienna, passed the interview in both French and English. By the middle of August 2008 was my visa ready and I went to the Canadian Embassy in my country of origin.
I was granted the work and residence visa to Quebec, Canada. But it was valid only for two weeks until the 28th of August 2008, while other applicants have at least one year to relocate from the moment their visa is granted. In two-week time one barely finds an affordable flight for a long-distance trip. When I asked, the woman who released my passport did not provide any argument, but answered: ‘If you don’t go in two weeks, you will never be allowed to emigrate to Canada’.
I put this expensive experience in the complex PhD experience, where I was constantly kept on paid or unpaid internships without absolutely no job perspective and in which people I met used all their resources so that I give up my PhD. I have never logically understood why it was so important for a bunch of people that I give up my PhD that was a theoretical thesis. But I know that most of them had neither the skills nor the will to do a PhD, and that they would put all their evilness in enjoying mocking somebody else’s work, time and money. The time I spent in Brussels, the so-called capital of the European Union, did not give me any feeling that I am in the heart of the European democracy, but it reminded me of the communist old times in Eastern Europe, when leaders (like Nicolae Ceausescu) with a few classes, had all the power to follow, to persecute and to massacre the intellectuals. And the communists did eliminate priests, teachers, engineers, doctors, philosophers and so on leaving the country everywhere equally uneducated. I have not met the European Union’s leaders, but associations’ leaders, all ‘small’ people – from a human and intellectual point of view – that the big European Union’s leaders are very fond of, I suppose, since this bunch of people were unaccountably allowed everything including ringing communist bells in their beloved so-called ‘heart of democracy’. (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment