Thursday 10 September 2020

Plotter or Pantser? This is the Question!

 ©Laura Lai - my first edited photo!

by Laura Lai/ Essay

As many writers, so many writing processes – this is what the AWC’s article reconfirmed to me. Conducting its research on twenty authors, the short study revealed who prefers to plot in advance the story and who does not (pantser), as well as some of the reasons why they prefer to do so. Plotter or pantser – This is the question!

On the one side are the plotters. The plotter is the author that has an idea of a story, prepares a structure, and knows what happens next in the story and the way the story ends. It prepares a synopsis and sticks to it. For some authors, plotting is the only way (Laura Greaves). The arguments are different from author to author: plotting helps some authors to see their books coming together quicker (Dr. Kim Wilkins), or the need to have a planned structure for a novel-length project (Gary Kemble), and sometimes is the background, such as the screenwriting one, that taught on the importance of having a structure first (Margret Morgan).

On the other side are those authors who call themselves ‘definitely a pantser’ (Tamsin Janu), ‘ultimate pantser’ (Natasha Lester), ‘absolute pantser’ (Sandie Docker), or ‘fundamentally a pantser’ (Lisa Jewell). It is hard not to notice the determination in the answer of all these authors! There are authors who tried to be a pantser, but the call of the plotting voice was stronger. Others used to be pantser, but after being published turned to plotting. Some authors combine both plot and no-plot. For example, Ben Hobson who considers himself only a 90 percent pantser, Carole Wilkinson plots some parts, and Gabrielle Tozer who has at least the beginning prepared. Therefore, the pantser is the author who enjoys the freedom of writing, who let the story take her/him, while s/he enjoys the writing adventure.

Am I a plotter or a pantser? – Good question! I love different writing experiences. For essays, comments, and reviews, as well as humorous sketches I do not plan, but I think before I switch on my computer and start writing. Sometimes I need to research first (watch a movie before the review, read an article, etc.) and I take notes (names, dates, etc.) that accompany me while I am writing.

When it comes to political plays, from the moment I have the idea of a story to the moment I sit and start writing, there are several months I think of the story. The actual writing does not take too long, but the thinking of it takes months. And I think all the time: when I walk, drink my coffee, cook, or do the dishes. From the moment I pick up a topic, there is a thought that constantly preoccupies my mind.

I first make a large research on the topic that only 25-30 percent will show in the play. It is during the research that the story unfolds well in my mind. By the time I start writing, the story is already in my head. I settle on a premise that is unchangeable, but only a general structure (based on drama rules) that is in my mind. I write down words, timetables, and other issues that are relevant and I do not want to omit them. A very detailed outline and concrete synopsis – that I tried – makes me feel preventing new great ideas from sparking anytime during the writing process – and ideas I love. Writing drama is writing dialogue and dialogue is for me more spontaneous, more of a pantser-type, although a certain unfolding plan is ‘imposed’ by the drama rules.

First and foremost, I love the incredible feeling that writing gives. That is the reason why since very young I tried to make time to write some humorous sketches – when one has school and homework, time is limited. Life arranged itself in such a way that later I could research and write all day long. I cannot possibly know how long this divine treat will still last. As it is still given, I make the best use of this time and I am grateful for the joy - a particular type of joy that all authors – plotters or pantser – definitely feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment