Sunday 8 September 2019

A 38-Word Champion Story



Laura Lai
by Laura Lai/Uncategorized

My drama is definitely not the only one happy to see me back: my e-mail inbox must be very happy, too! It seems that I skipped the deadline of a creative writing exercise invitation from the Australian Writers’ Centre (AWC). There is no loss for the AWC, because it got nearly a thousand of such stories (some of them you can read here).

The exercise was asking to write a 29-word story, which starts and ends with the same word and includes the names of two countries. Today I gave a thought to these precise requirements and I tried to write a story:

Serena Williams (37) comes back from a long maternity leave, returns to world’s top 10 in a record time and is finalist in four Grand Slam tournaments (in UK, US, etc.). The definition of a champion is ‘Serena’.

I understood from an article I’ve read today that she turns 38 this month. Besides the fact that I subscribe to all those wishing her the best on this occasion, I believe that the definition of a champion is ‘Serena’ 38! My story has 38 words. I guess it doesn’t make me a champion in writing… with only one manuscript under review, but I will persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment