Sunday 17 November 2019

Radio Drama Review: ‘A Slight Ache’ by Harold Pinter



by Laura Lai/Review

The play ‘A Slight Ache’ written by the Nobel Laureate for Literature (2005) Harold Pinter was broadcasted by BBC Radio 4 in 2001 (first broadcasted by BBC 3 in 1959) on the occasion of Pinter’s 70s birthday. [Fortunately, this British dramatist was alive when appreciated by peers and the public. My point is that sometimes and some people have a … ‘funny’ way of appreciating the works of somebody: they despise him/her badly while alive and they love him/her dearly and his/her work post-mortem.]
The upload of this play on You Tube gathered different opinions. If the play is the way I understood it, in my view is brilliant. Really brilliant! In fact, the play ‘A Slight Ache’, directed by Ned Chaillet, describes a day in the married couple of Flora (Jill Johnson) and Edward (Harold Pinter) - in the longest day of the year starting with 9.30 am – when Edward is annoyed by a match seller sitting outside their back gate that they succeed in inviting in. I’m not surprised that at the end of it, some of those who listened the play on You Tube (as I did) have asked themselves: ‘What was this all about?’

My view is that this play is about marriage and is brilliantly organized around the match seller (Who is he? How is he? Why is he sitting there? Since when, for how long, etc.) and on the dichotomy male-female approach on different issues (meaning complimentarily or opposition).
            For example, Edward thinks that he got himself a partner when he married Flora – that was beautiful and compassionate.  By the way he treats her though, he got himself a servant: ‘do that!’, ‘bring me that!’ etc. At its turn, Flora accepts to be treated like a servant:

            ‘Would you like to have lunch in the garden?’

The dichotomy starts the moment of the killing of a wasp in the very beginning of the play: for her is an ‘awful experience’, while for him it’s a ‘wonderful day’. The actual inviting of the match seller – that for Edward is ‘an impostor’ and ‘there is something fake about him’, while for her he is ‘a harmless old man’ who may barely sees and hears – is a linguistic treat for those speaking English as a foreign language, as in my case, to hear some original British English:

            ‘Would you care for a cup of tea?’ Or
            ‘Would you care for goose? We have goose for lunch.’

Flora was sent by her husband to bring the match seller in and this was her approach. To me, at this stage the dichotomy is very evident: not only that Flora tells her husband ‘a woman will often succeed, but a man will invariable fail’, but also in the questions that a man, Edward, addresses to the match seller and those that a woman, Flora, addresses to the same match seller. He wants to offer a drink, he praises himself with his work, his essays, his collections, his maps, but Flora is more into sex ‘as a vital experience’ discovering with fascination ‘the solid old boy’, not the ‘jelly’ as her husband thought. The ‘solid old boy’ who’s now ‘ugly and smell’ who needs a ‘bath and a scrub’ – How sick does it sound?!
            Edward is also into the match seller's boyhood: ‘Have you ever kicked the ball?’, he asks. This question made me laugh. I’m a passionate football watcher, but I never kicked the ball. Never been interested to. Instead, I loved playing a ball game, which I played yearlong – that all people of my generation played – in which I loved to be a ‘goose’ (my favorite position in the field J). I’m personally very happy and very amused by the fact that Pinter’s play reminded me of this game called ‘The Hunters and the Geese’ for which you need … of course two teams. All children wanting to play this game put one hand on the ball, one above the other. The child holding the ball starts removing the hands saying ‘hunter’, ‘goose’, ‘hunter’, ‘goose’ until the last hand. In this way are the two teams decided. The ‘hunters’ divide themselves into two teams that sit on the two sides of a play field that we decide how big to be. In the middle sit the ‘geese’. The hunters pass the ball to each other trying to hit with the ball a ‘goose’. I was always the last of the ‘geese’: I loved to turn, to jump over the ball, to bend, etc. in order not to be hit and not to be out. Indeed, I used to be a hard-to-hit ‘goose’... a talented ‘goose’! J. Sometimes some ‘hunters’ (girls and boys alike, like the geese) ‘adapted’ the rules and they were setting at the beginning of the game that if your skirt was touched or the larger blouse, than it’s considered that the ‘goose’ is hit and is out. As I don’t like to argue on people’s rules adaptations, I played in trousers. Well, I wish I could say ‘Thank you, Harold, for reminding me of this game!’

These above mentioned points are not the only reasons I believe the play is brilliant. I wonder – as I’m not British and I only shortly lived in Britain – how customary is it for a salesman to sell matches in front of a gate in Britain’s countryside? Or Pinter intentionally chose a match salesman to point on two men comparing each other and to point on a man and a woman matching more or less in a marriage? A match makes also a flame. That’s the way some marriages start and then some marriages become – as Flora and Edward’s marriage – ‘A Slight Ache’, meaning a slight dull and steady pain.

Remember that a dramatist is first thinking of all these things, all these elements that he wants to express and then he finds a form – a drama from – to wrap in words what was first in his mind. It’s complex, it’s difficult and it requires lots of craft. The way I understood the play, I find it brilliant. What do you think?

Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment