Tuesday 8 October 2019

Old Movies’ Review: ‘Making a Living’ (1914)




by Laura Lai/ Review

Have you ever been curious to watch … . What do you think that I am about to ask? If you ever been curious to watch naked women or men on the cover of a magazine? I would never ask such a thing simply because a magazine is prosperous when it has many ‘readers’. And these magazines are prosperous. I guess it is one of the ways to make one’s living.

I know that you don’t admire people for the way they look naked, but that you treasure them for how they think, the way they act, their education and their culture; for their human qualities. If any of you has ever been curious about the first movie appearance of Charlie Chaplin that was in 1914 in the old movie called ‘Making a Living’, written by Reed Henstis and directed by Henry Lehrman. This old movie is the story of a jobless swindler (Charlie Chaplin), who takes the photo of a car going over a cliff made by a photograph and races to the newspaper to sell it as his. His rival was following him, but he was delayed because he was caught in a woman’s bedroom by her jealous husband.

You are curious to know why on Earth I enjoyed watching a black and while silent movie instead of … ‘reading’ a magazine with photos?
I like this old movie and I write about on this blog, because it itself is a picture of the way the American city looked like and the American society dressed with in the 20th century. Through this movie, one can see the way the first tram looked like and for a short second even one of the first cameras. And I have been particularly impressed by the fact that Charlie Chaplin’s talent was so great that it needed only this first appearance in this short movie (only 12:35 minutes) in order to impress and make a life time career. Impressive, indeed! On the other side, the naked men and women from the current magazines look exactly the same as first man and the first woman on Earth, unless Adam and Eve would comment differently on this blog.
No wonder that I don’t share such a cultureless curiosity, but I understand that people are different. And so are our choices. I chose for today ‘Making a Living’ (1914) with Charlie Chaplin (to see the movie click here).

And I recommend it to you, too. Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment